Friday, October 9, 2009

What we gonna have-- dessert or disaster?

Let’s start with the good. So, at Artwalk a director of Moss Rock Festival came by (the 5 minutes I wasn’t there) and asked me to apply for the art show. I thought it was a great opportunity to continue doing art stuff, so I applied. This came in the mail a few days ago…

Yeah, and the big font was in bright green. Sorry you’re getting the gray scale version. I would also like to congratulate Jill, whoever she is. Way to go, girl! But Moss Rock is November 7-8th so be there.

Also, some of you may already know about this, but it’ll be a treat if you don’t. I should start from the beginning. I work in a warehouse where there are big gym-like lights with giant 2000-watt light bulbs. I like to collect industrial things and scraps of old stuff. So of course when I found out that we recycle (and keep) these at work, they were immediately appealing. I wanted to do something with them for a little project. So I thought of 1) hanging them from the ceiling, 2) using them as table decorations, 3) making a non-functioning light fixture out of them and maybe illuminating it somehow, or 4) this:

I’m pretty excited about it. It’s a tad heavy would make a great table center thing or something to put on the wall if you’re feeling crazy. But I’ll just keep it for my future home.

Dessert:
I’m excited about Conlee coming to town this weekend. I see her about once a year, so this is a treat. Today is her birthday so we are going to get her a little cake when we meet her for lunch tomorrow. She is all fancy-like, so we are going to Bottega Café and then she wants for me to tour her around Birmingham. Then off to Chez Fon Fon for dinner because she loves Frank Stitt and I’ve never been to one of his restaurants. And then we’ll do Sunday brunch at Little Savannah. Three great places in two days…so I’m pretty excited about all of that and hanging out with T-Frank and BUI.

Disaster:
There is no way to break the news softly. Little Trout/Scout was in an accident yesterday. Don't worry, I'm okay... just a little sore and beat up. Some guy rear-ended me on Lakeshore and pushed in my bumper and thus my hatch won’t open. I need my hatch, it’s the most important part of the car for me, well other than the wheels. So the guy gave me his info and left. The police came almost an hour later and filed a report and may or may not have put a warrant out for him. As for the damage, I thought it wasn’t a big deal until I took it into the collision center. When she gave me quote for almost 3x what my car is worth, I got a little sad because that means the Jeep will be totaled. Really? I regret ever getting into that lane, geeeeeeez! I can’t afford a car. So me and Melissa are thinking about getting a van together… you know, something that will hold all my art show supplies and our kids. But really, I might have to get a car and while that sounds awesome, I don’t know how to do that, if I can, and how I’ll live without Trout/Scout.

And to end on a positive note, I’ll give you my favorite quote from yesterday:
Eron came by my office with stiff legs and asked, “What if we didn’t have knees?” I laughed a lot as she proceeded to try to run with straight legs and arms. Thank you, God, for giving us knees and friends that are completely ridiculous. I'm done. I can't offer anymore.

4 comments:

  1. buddy, I don't know what we're gonna do with our carless-selves. this van is going to be awesome though. I have no doubt about that. and the van can house my guitar, and I'm sure with all of these trials and tribulations we can write some pretty classic songs.

    and 3 things:

    - I really am sorry that somebody hit up on you and Trout/Scout. I'll hope for the best!
    - congrats on Moss Rock, Jill, and the light bulbs turned out really cool.
    - Eron is a moron...but I guess that's why we love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the light thing, Jill.

    no but seriously. i like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, listen to this tale. i walked into anthropologie this weekend with conlee. i nearly fell on the floor when i saw a new product there:
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=973452&catId=HOME-ROOM&pushId=HOME-ROOM&popId=HOME&sortProperties=&navCount=95&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=100&colorName=CLEAR&isProduct=true

    are you kidding me???? they've already stolen my idea. i left defeated. they are making a KILLING off of dead light bulbs and my idea is way cooler. gah. i just wanted to make sure everyone knew that i didnt know they had these before i made mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, for those that cant see that link, go to anthroplogie.com and look for the lightbulbs on the "at home" catalog.

    ReplyDelete