Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I put my thing down, flipped it but couldn't reverse it

I was really, really pumped to eat at Saw's BBQ today.  I had heard good things about it, and I was going to get to dine with good ol' Kimberly Holland.  so I thought Wednesday was shaping up to be pretty fine and fabulous.  and from a dining perspective, it absolutely was.  my pork "stuffed tater" was one of the best taters I've ever put in my mouth.  as you may remember, I spent the majority of my food court money at SU on BBQ pork potatoes and ICEEs, so I'm no stranger to the stuffed tater.  this one was loaded with BBQ pork, sauce, cheese, bacon, green onions and a super delectable glob of butter.  AND they have amazing banana pudding, which they call banana ana pudding.  sure, why not?  I would highly recommend that you make your way to Edgewood and, yes, get you some.  (Ash, we'll take you there over the holidays...cause I'm sure you're not getting any good food up there in Chi-town).  

anyway, onto what this world really needs more of....complaining.  so, we're finished eating, and I think "oh, I'll get in my car and head back to work."  little did I know that my car was thinking "oh, I'll let you get in and turn me on (rawr), but I won't let you go anywhere."  I cranked her up, took off the emergency brake, put it in reverse and heard "vrrrrooooooooooooom" but the car did not move.  not good.  so I tried a few more times.  and a few more times.  I believe the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  well, I didn't reach insanity, but I did receive some looks from people standing on the sidewalk.  the lady who brought us our food was outside on her phone.  she looks at me and says "is something wrong with your car?"  yes, ma'am...I believe there's something wrong with my car.  

long story short, I realize that there's probably something wrong with my transmission.  I'd like to give a shout-out to the mechanic at the Edgewood service station.  he was really helpful and came over and took a look at Sammy.  the owner of Saw's was also really helpful and friendly.  it's always nice to be reminded of strangers' kindness.  

but the best person I met today was Chris from Herbert's Towing.  I've been told that it's pronounced "eeeybear," and I'm really excited about that fact.  Chris was rockin' some sweet flowing locks, a backwards hat, some sweet tats and ended up blocking the entire street in order to get my car on the tow truck.  and he didn't do this slowly or safely.  Chris just pulled right across the lanes as cars were still driving; earning him some choice words from a particular driver.  Chris replied with "I've been cussed out plenty of times...and I've heard a lot worse."  he and I also discussed the other options besides the inevitable ones of replacing the transmission or buying a new car.  I strongly considered letting him release my car as it was being pulled up, but in the end I had to go with a "thanks, but no thanks."  seriously though, he was a really nice guy and made this annoying situation a little less annoying. 

so the folks over at Wholesale Transmission are going to take a look at it in the morning.  I'm really, really hoping that it will be something other than the transmission and will cost me only, I don't know, let's go with $37.  but, realistically this could really suck.  I really don't know what I'm gonna do if it is the transmission.  it's really not worth it to spend that much on my car at this point, but I don't think I could swing a car payment right now either.  it's actually pretty scary to think about, but we'll just have to wait and see how things go tomorrow.  MAJOR sigh.....

so let's hope for the best, eh?  but if not, yes, I would love a ride. 

and I'll try to list some positives to keep things in perspective:

- I've got awesome people in my life who help me out in tough spots. (Kimbholl, you're awesome...thanks for the rides and the laughs)!
- my parents are always there to help, and just knowing that helps a lot. 
- Glee and Modern Family are two fine new shows, and they made me laugh tonight. 
- if Brandi Carlile were a food, she would probably be a stuffed tater.  I still can't quit listening to the new album, and I get to see her live in four days.  well, as long as the Max bus goes to WorkPlay.  I'll have to check its route. 
- Halloween is not too far away, and we all know how much I love candy and all things scary.  but not creepy...I think we all know where being creepy leads you.  right, Dave?  you know what though, I think people care way too much about David Letterman's personal life.  I care way more about Paul Shaffer's life. he's bald and always wears sunglasses, but what do we really know about him?  but I digress.  

thanks for letting me vent, blog.  and thanks for reading.  hope y'all are having a good week!

high fives and awkward side hugs, 
mj

1 comment:

  1. Beth has a car with no engine, you have one with no transmission. Seems like we could work something out.
    -Evan

    ReplyDelete