Tuesday, September 29, 2009

we love mexican food....

so here's the deal, music is making me really happy today (as it often does). so I'd like to share some musical treats with you guys. and mainly I'm wanting to make Ashley wish she were still here and going to concerts with us. jerk move? maybe. but so was hers. :)

I saw Ingrid Michaelson last Thursday at WorkPlay. you know, there are those certain artists that just make me incredibly happy....nay, joyful....to see them performing live. she's definitely one of them. I love the way she interacts with the crowd, and good goo, she's just phenomenal. she did a parody of her new single "Maybe" that shows the band's love and appreciation for mexican food while out on the road. love it. please love it here yourself. fajita with a hard "j"....gets me every time. I still need to get her new album. I'll be doing that soon. I've downloaded a couple from Allie Moss who has played with Ingrid for as long as I've known about her. good stuff as well.

OK, seeing needtobreathe this Saturday at WorkPlay. I'm excited about this one, too. I don't really know a whole lot of their stuff, but I do enjoy the ones I've heard a good bit. I really like their new single "Something Beautiful." I found this acoustic version and think it's pretty kickin'. I often wish that the studio albums would sound less manufactured and all that mess. I prefer my performances like I prefer my dates: raw and stripped down. get the rawness.

I'm trying conserve the moo-lah so I can see A Fine Frenzy in October. I'd really like to see her live, and Among the Oak & Ash are opening for them. this is the new band that Garrison Starr and Josh Joplin have formed. from what I've heard and seen online from them, I feel like they could become a huge new favorite. the album is mainly covers of folk music, with a couple originals. I'm a big fan of these two: The Water is Wide and Peggy-O.

and by far some of the best news I can give you today is that the new Brandi Carlile album should be waiting for me when I get home! yep, you guessed right. I could not be more excited! it's called Give Up the Ghost, and I'm ready to soak it up. listening party at my place tomorrow! Ashley, I expect you to be there in spirit. don't say you're too busy having your right leg blown into your left leg up there in the windy city. BCB concert October 11th! maybe I can get another pic like this one.



I'll give you my opinion of the new album soon, but all signs point towards me saying something like "good goo, it is absolutely amazing!" I mean, that just sounds like something I would say.

so there it is. good music. good times. Sidewalk was also good this past weekend. I wish the weather had been a little nicer on Saturday, but I really enjoyed the movies I saw this year. speaking of movies, I wanna see Whip It. and I wanna see Grey Gardens....the doc. I want a lot of things, but I'll try to give too. I still miss you already.

x's and a few o's,
mj

1 comment:

  1. jerk move? maybe. oh, snapfish. ashley, you better tell us when you ever get grey gardens in the mail or else. looks like we'll just have to find this on our own, MJ.

    glad that the picture of you and BC being BFF came back around. lots of pop o's to all of you.

    ReplyDelete